Orthopaedics is a branch of medical science that deals with the diseases and injury of the musculoskeletal system of the body. The musculoskeletal system is a complex system present in the body that includes bones, ligaments, joints, muscles, tendons and nerves, and allows the various kinds of movements done by the body. There was a time when Orthopaedists were solely devoted to providing care to children suffering from limb and spine deformities, but now they cater to the needs of everyone.
Problems related to the musculoskeletal system:
- Diagnosing the disorder or injury
- Treating the condition with medication, casting, exercise, surgery etc
- Rehabilitation of the treated condition by recommending exercises and physiotherapy
- Prevention with treatment plans and information so as to prevent injury.
It is not necessary that all musculoskeletal conditions have to be treated with a surgery, many of such conditions can be treated using exercise, medication and other rehabilitative procedures. Your doctors only recommend surgical treatment when your body does not respond to alternative treatments.
Common surgical procedures are listed below:
- Fusion— It is a kind of "welding" process. In this process, bones are fused with one another using internal devices and bone grafts, so that they join to become a single solid bone and heal properly.
- Arthroscopy— This is a specialised procedure that utilises the use of special high-res cameras that are capable of visualizing, diagnosing and treating problems inside a joint.
- Joint replacement — The process of replacing a damaged or arthritic joint with an artificial one is covered in joint replacement surgery.
- Osteotomy—This involves correction of an existing or later bone deformity by either repositioning or cutting the bone.
Treatment of soft tissue and bone cancer patients need a multidisciplinary approach, wherein a multidisciplinary team consisting of dedicated Orthopaedic Cancer Surgeons, Nuclear Medicine Specialist, Musculoskeletal Radiologists, Pathologists, Interventional Radiologists, Medical Oncology Consultants and Radiation Oncology Consultants administer the treatment. Limb salvage surgery, a need of the hour treatment, is routinely done here in collaboration with plastic and reconstructive surgeons trained in Musculoskeletal Oncology. We provides comprehensive and world-class orthopaedic services. This department offers specialized care in the field of complex trauma, poly-trauma and related sub-specialties. The orthopaedic department delivers personalised care utilising latest research and evidence-based medicine. The department provides management for all disorders of bone, joint and a variety of musculoskeletal disorders.
Some of the procedures that we take care are joint, knee, hip and shoulder replacement, arthritis and custom implant surgeries. We treat sports-related injuries which can be extremely painful and traumatic. Our sports medicine team works with surgeons to put sportspersons on a quick path to recovery. Arthroscopy, knee, shoulder and ankle arthroscopy, recurrent shoulder dislocation, rotator cuff repair, subacromial decompression, Msaicrominal and articular cartilage implantation are some of the other procedures done routinely.
India is equipped to diagnose and treat hand & upper limb surgery, which includes management of hand fractures, malunited fractures, soft tissues of hand, infections of upper limb and hand, hand injuries, tendon, nerve repair, reconstruction, soft tissue affections, congenital deformity, tumours of hand and upper limb, rheumatoid hand, elbow, radial head and joint replacement.